Monday, May 7, 2012

Media Monday

First, I do realize that Friday's post contained no content. More on that tomorrow (Tech Tuesday).

Now for Media Monday. I actually thought this would be easy to write since I spend a lot of time with magazines, television, movies, podcast, etc. Plus, I have Joe to pitch in whenever he can. However, for the past several days I have spent very little time with "media".

So, I will review the only movie besides Hunger Games, that I have seen. If you haven't read, seen or heard all about Hunger Games, then you probably don't care about this sort of post anyway.



I recently went to see Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. I heard about it through some of my close friends, the Satellite Sisters. (Trust me, I really wanted to write about their podcast, but I think I've mentioned it enough.)

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen is a British romantic comedy. Yes, there are salmon and some fly fishing, but it is more of a love story. The director is Lasse Halstrom and these are some of his films.




























Salmon Fishing in the Yemen is more fluffy than the above movies from this director, but it is a nice, entertaining film.

Harriet played by Emily Blunt works for a Sheik, who is an avid fly fisherman, and wishes to bring the sport to his home place of Yemen. The Sheik is played by Amr Waked.  Ewan McGregor, plays Dr. Jones, who is enlisted to bring the salmon to the Sheik's reservoir, even though he feels it is an impossible task.

Both Emily Blunt and Ewan McGregor are very good in this film. Ewan McGregor fits the role of a Fisheries Department expert very well. I actually liked him in this understated role better than his other movie roles. In my opinion, he should take more parts like this. I am an Emily Blunt fan and, she did not let me down. I will say, though, that when she turns sideways, she is about two inches wide. Eat a cheese square, Emily. (From which film is that line?) Waked plays the part of a handsome, rich, wise sheik well.



Kristin Scott Thomas is the Secretary to the Prime Minister.  From other reviews I have read, her part is more true to the sarcasm and biting tone of the book. But, I have not read the book, so I can't really validate that fact. However, she plays the part of a tough woman in the political world to a tee.

The movie is entertaining and sweet. The humor is what one reviewer called "gentle" and I couldn't come up with a better description for the humor. If you don't see this movie during its limited showings in the theater, (Angelika Film Center and Cafe in Dallas or Cinemark West in Plano), catch it on pay for view when it appears. It is not a blockbuster, just a nice film and definitely worth the price of home entertainment.








1 comment:

  1. I looked up both "Salmon Fishing" and "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" to see where they were playing over the weekend, but I wasn't inclined to drive to Dallas (and for sure not to Plano). Unless they get a wider release I'll have to wait for them to show up on Amazon or Netflix, I guess. I really want to see both of them.

    ReplyDelete