Monday, July 30, 2012

Media Monday-The Olympics, of Course

This post will be a few observations of the Olympics. It is just going to be some of my thoughts. Be free to just skip it, because my thoughts are not Earth shattering. However, I would love for you to chime in with your observations too.

1. I have enjoyed having a lot of coverage of the Olympics. I have watched a few things, I would not have seen before. Some people seem to be upset that they know results before the evening telecasts, but haven't they known this in past Olympics? The last great secret coverage I can remember was when the USA hockey team beat Russia (The Miracle on Ice). I must say that was exciting, and if we could go back there, I would be all for it. But in this day and age, that is not going to happen.

2. Barry wants the Olympics to go back to all non-professional athletes. There was something special about those times, too. But, Barry, that ship has also sailed.

3. I love the up-close and personal moments and hope to see a lot more. I really don't want to see the USA gymnast's parents watching their child perform anymore though. I am sure some network is already filming "Gymnast Moms."

4. Does anyone else feel like China is doing too well in swimming? They are so much faster than other countries, kind of brings to mind the East Germans and Russians in the olden days. I wonder if they are drug testing that 16 year old swimmer?

4. Since the gymnastics has been on a lot, I am sure you have seen the color of that gym. I love bright and colorful, but YIKES! A little pepto-bismol pink goes a long way and that is a lot of pepto-bismol pink. Did I read each event is color-coded? I like that idea. Color coding is always, good, but, there are a lot of colors out there, London. Plus the colors of the Olympic rings were chosen because they are colors that can be found in every countries' flag. Now that was a good thought.

Look at those lines- that should have been logo inspiring
5. The Logo and Font- If you are trying to brand something, like, let's say, the Olympic Games you are hosting, wouldn't you want to pick a memorable logo? You would want something that just pops into your head, like an apple with a bite out of it, a target, a swoosh, golden arches. Couldn't someone have made a logo out of London bridge, Big Ben , one of the Queen's hats, or just use Kate's face. Hey, maybe Pippa's bottom! Anyway, I am not impressed with the logo, and I would definitely have the Union Jack in it or the lines of the Union Jack, but maybe that is a no-no. I don't know the rules of creating the logo.

That said, I don't care for the Olympic font either. But, I will say, I would recognize it somewhere else. If that was what they were going for, they have achieved a different look with it, just not a pleasant one.
I find it a little swastika looking.

Also, I don't have photos of the logo and font on my blog, because London does NOT want anyone else using them. That is probably mainly for people making money on them, but I don't really like them enough to add them anyway.

6. I love the Olympics and London would have been a great place to attend the games. I must learn to plan ahead!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with many of your observations, especially the gymnast parents' reactions being a bit intense for viewing. I think that the opening ceremonies were "interesting," and I might even say unconventional? I thought they should have shown Kate Middleton more! I was impressed last night with Jordyn Weber composing herself and speaking highly of Ali and Gabby making the all-around competition. I think Ali is an amazing all- around gymnast. A surprisingly fun event to watch was the women's weight-lifting because they looked like oompa loompas making ridiculous faces. I also really enjoy the diving. One more observation, the newscasters state the obnoxious and obvious way too often. That's all!

    ReplyDelete