Friday, October 22, 2010

Has the Search for Baby Names Gone too Far?

I know that parents are searching for different and unusual names these days, but I want to go on record that I think they may have gone too far. It all came to light today when Scarlett and I were walking into Ben’s elementary school for lunch. There is a sidewalk up to the doorway that was apparently a class project. The students have their handprints and names in the cement along with the year 2004. As we walked over the 2004, Scarlett said, “that is an o.” (not a zero, but an o) Being the supportive grandmother I am, I didn’t correct her but replied, “That’s right.”  Then the conversation went something like this:
Scarlett-”O stands for ovary.”
Me-”What does it stand for?”
Scarlett- “Ovary, that is a girl’s name.”
Me- “Do you mean Avery?”
Scarlett-” No, it’s Ovary.”
Oh my. I should have just told her it was a zero not an o, but then I would have never known about the little girl named Ovary.

3 comments:

  1. That is too funny! I don't doubt that someone would name their child such a name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved Scarlett's take on Ovary. Who knows where the different spelling of names will take us.
    Look forward to each new blog.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete