Monday, December 17, 2012

Float the Boat

Why no posts for so long?

Sometimes I get writers block. Sometimes I have too much that I want to say, but the content does not pertain to this blog. Those thoughts keep me from coming up with superficial subjects.

But, somehow, Barry never fails to give me something to write.

As you may remember, Barry and I went to an RV show in Dallas when we were trying to decide what kind of trailer to buy. As we were walking around the exhibits, we came across a booth selling a boat.

Barry has been talking kayaks for a couple of years now, but we both had some reservations about them. They would take up room in the garage, getting them loaded and unloaded could get hard for two (in pretty good shape), but aging people, etc.

The boat we saw at the RV show is called a Porta-Bote. I'm going to tell you up front it is unusual. Notice the spelling of the word boat in its name? Do you think there is some reason they cannot use the word "boat"? Would that be false advertising?

Being fiscally responsible, Barry decided to check out eBay for used Porta-Botes. He found one for sale. It was in California, and the owner had posted he would not ship. Barry emailed and tried to convince him to ship it, but got no response.

Then, Barry found one in Florida. This seller was a little more willing to try to ship it, but to make a long story shorter, this sale, too, fell through.

Not to be deterred, Barry found one for sale in the metroplex. Over Thanksgiving weekend, he went to check it out and came home with his very own Porta-Bote.

Due to work and weather, Barry did not get to put the boat in the water until recently.

It was hanging neatly in the garage.


It folds up to four inches wide, but is twelve feet long.

Then the weather cleared, and Barry had a day to take the bote to the lake and see if it would float.

Barry and I loaded the bote in the truck. He wanted to make sure I could help lift it. What a stroke of luck that I can help load the bote and motor.



Phil was Barry's first mate. I refused to be the guinea pig in the "float or sink" experiment.


Phil was impressed with Barry's knot tying skills.


So with the bote, motor, and life jackets loaded, they headed for the lake.

Less than sixty minutes later, they were back. They took the bote out into the water about twenty or thirty yards and...

The Game Warden stopped them.  I like to think that he watched them unfold the bote and felt it shouldn't be in the water. Barry says that he stopped them because the bote was not registered. Barry was certain, the Game Warden was impressed with the bote, because he only gave them a warning.  

So the bote is back in the garage awaiting its registration. Barry assures me it floated just fine. Somehow I feel, I will be the guinea pig for its venture farther than thirty yards from shore.





3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear about further adventures in bote-ing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good pictures! I have so many fears concerning this "bote."

    ReplyDelete

  3. I am emailing you a picture of the "Bote" all put together. I know when your readers see it they will be calling me and requesting a ride. Please try & post the photo.


    ReplyDelete